Connection. Celebration. Engagement. Leadership.
The Front Step Project
The Front Step Project is an initiative engaging youth in and from foster care, along with older adults, to co-design projects that encourage informal support and caring connections.
What we've read
- 110 youth age out of government care each year at age 19. Many find themselves aging into community without the support, skills and resources they need (TRRUST: Collective Impact)
- ½ of all seniors who live alone in BC are at or below the poverty line (Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives)
- 25% of residents aged 65 and older say they do not feel a sense of community belonging (Vancouver Coastal Health)
- Youth from care are looking for trusted and caring adults that they can rely on, who are not paid to be in relationship.
What we've heard
- “There is richness in learning from my elders rather than Google”
- “I worry about my safety when I’m alone all the time”
- “Support is fragmented and we don’t all know what is available and how to access it”
- “Though helping others, I help myself”
What we want
- A community in which people are connected, valued and empowered to create the systemic change they would like to see in their community.
- Connecting with people and organizations engaged in this work.
- Providing a platform for the community to propose ideas we can test and evaluate together
- Learning with you along the way.
Convening, creating and learning from our community about the gaps they see and solutions they want to try.
Funding from the Vancouver Foundation allowed a wider conception of the project to test multiple community driven solutions.
The Association of Neighbourhood Houses BC identified that youth from foster care and older adults had similar challenges and lots of potential to address those challenges together
Updates & Stories
The Research behind The Front Step Project
Events & Programs
Events for week of August 18, 2019
Events Search and Views Navigation
Calendar of Events
Contact our House
The Front Step Project Coordinator
604.879.8208 ext 225
Help people from 40+ countries, many First Nations, and all generations make the most of of life at our House.